From October 2014 through September 2015, we collected ideas and thoughts through literature studies, webinars, thought leader interviews, panel discussions, and workshops. Through these events, we aim to:
- Identify and describe the resource and information flows within and outside buildings (occupants, environment, utilities, building districts);
- Discuss how innovative technologies and strategies can resolve problems in buildings today and how well they might potentially work for tomorrow; and
- Explore future building attributes.
- AIA Convention (Philadelphia), May 19-21, 2016. Buildings of the Future: Design Paradigm for the Next Century.
- DOE Building Technologies Office Peer Review Meeting (D.C.), April 4, 2016. Technologies of the Future.
- APA National Planning Conference (Phoenix), April 2, 2016. Buildings and Cities Beyond This Century.
- Facades+ AM DC Conference (D.C.), March 10, 2016. Buildings of the Future.
- City University of New York ESES/CREST Seminar, February 24, 2016. Buildings of the Future.
- Buildings on the Best (Chicago), December 8, 2015. Buildings of the Future and Climate Resilience Strategies.
- 2015 Greenbuild International Conference and Expo, November 20, 2015. View the presentation slides here.
- Concluding Workshop on Friday, July 31, 2015. Presentation of the preliminary vision future building characteristics, performance metrics, and long-term targets. View the recorded webinar here and download the workshop handout or workshop summary. You can also download the following presentations:
- Vision Project Objectives - Pat Phelan
- Keynote Speaker - Rolan Risser
- Keynote Speaker - Chris Pyke
- Takeaways from Past Events
- Preliminary Vision: Future Building Attributes and Identified Metrics - Nora Wang
- Webinar on Wednesday, July 15, 2015. Buildings of the Future and Health Exterior Considerations. Focused on exterior aspects of buildings and their impact on health.View the recorded webinar here and the presentation slides here.
- Webinar on Tuesday, July 14, 2015. Additive Technology: Rethinking of Building Design, Construction, and Recycling. Focused on future building materials and construction technologies. This webinar is one in a series of panel discussions to explore the future of our built environment beyond this century. View the recorded webinar here and presentation slides here.
- Webinar on Monday, July 13, 2015. Buildings of the Future and Health Interior Considerations. Focused on interior aspects of buildings and their impact on health.View the recorded webinar here and the presentation slides here.
- ASME Power and Energy Conference - Track 2-2 Symposium on Integrated/Sustainable Building Equipment and Systems, Panel 2-2-1: Energy Systems for Buildings of the Next Century, June 30, 2015. Focused on energy usage of Future Buildings. Panelists addressed broad and specific topics in the following areas: advanced building envelope technologies, integrated energy equipment, indoor environmental control and air quality, buildings data flows, and low carbon, adaptable and resilient building energy technologies. View the full presentation here.
- Webinar on Tuesday, June 23, 2015. Download the presentation deck here.
- New York City Workshop, May 4, 2015. Focused on occupants, smart city, urban informatics, and building controls. View the agenda here and the full presentation here.
- DOE Building Technologies Office Peer Review Meeting, April 14, 2015. Focused on urban planning internet of things, health, and security. View the recorded webinar here, the presentation slides here, and the discussion summary here.
- Living Future unConference, April 2, 2015. Focused on building-grid integration, connected building districts, information technologies, and real estate market dynamics. View the morning session slides here and the afternoon session slides here.
- IEA Energy in Buildings and Communities Annex 66, March 30, 2015. Focused on occupants behavior and well-being. View the session slides here and the discussion summary here.
- Webinar on Wednesday, March 18, 2015. Focused on resilience, biomimicry, and biophilia. View the recorded webinar here, the presentation slides here, and the discussion summary here.
- Webinar on Wednesday, December 3, 2014. View the recorded webinar here, or download the presentation deck here.
- Webinar on Thursday, November 13, 2014. Consisted of planning with key stakeholders.